COVID-19 and Newborn Hearing Testing
The current COVID-19 crisis has caused quarantines and service disruptions around the world. However, delays in diagnostic hearing testing for newborns can affect a lifetime of hearing ability.
Regarding audiological development, the first months of a newborn’s life are critical. The sooner hearing changes are identified in a newborn, the more likely interventions can help babies reach their full potential. However, as we continue to wrestle with COVID-19, precious months may tick by.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends hearing screenings for all newborns. The goal is for all babies to have a newborn hearing screening by one month of age, ideally before they go home from the hospital; identified by 3 months of age and enrolled in early intervention or treatment, if identified as deaf or hard of hearing, by the age of 6 months.
Tips and Resources
As we emerge from quarantine, clinics may experience a backlog of diagnostic hearing tests, which need to be conducted as soon as possible. Vivosonic would like to offer these tips and resources:
1. EQUIPMENT PREPARATION
- If you have Integrity™ System parts requiring service, Vivosonic is currently open to help: email@example.com
- Consider sterilization procedures, which will be used in the future
- Update your software: https://vivosonic.com/members/update-your-software/
- Trade in your G1 (one channel) system for a G2 system, which has many new features such as high frequency ABR testing, Cortical MLR/LLR and new software features for added user convenience: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purchase a new Integrity™ System: https://vivosonic.com/how-to-buy/
2. VIDEO OR REMOTE TRAINING
- Our Learning Library has many videos, which can help with training of the many features of the Integrity™ System: https://vivosonic.com/members/integrity-resources/integrity-learning-library/
- Set up a personalized remote training session. Contact: email@example.com
3. CONSIDER TELEAUDIOLOGY
Now more than ever, ABR testing may need to be conducted remotely. Our Integrity™ System has been used successfully and may be part of your new clinical practice.
Learn more about teleaudiology using the Integrity™ System:
- EHDI 2019 Conference Presentation
- Clinical study using telemedical tools to perform diagnostic Auditory Brainstem Responses (ABRs)
4. INTEGRITY REQUIRES LESS SEDATION AND IMPROVES CLINICAL EFFICIENCY
The Integrity™ System obtains estimated auditory threshold more efficiently, which will help your clinic work through the backlog more quickly:
- Average time for ABR is significantly reduced
- Measure AC and BC thresholds in both ears at multiple frequencies in lightly sleeping or awake infants
- View clinical evidence: https://vivosonic.com/clinical-evidence/
As the Covid-19 situation continues to evolve, please know that at Vivosonic, we are here to help and will continue providing support to our customers. Please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org