Hearing Assessment of Neonates at Risk for Hearing Loss – Brazil
This study reviewed the audiological diagnosis of neonates at high risk for hearing loss referred by maternity hospitals to a high complexity service on hearing health in Brazil.
The auditory brainstem response (ABR) test was performed using the Integrity V500 equipment (Vivosonic Inc., Toronto, ON, Canada). The children were naturally asleep or awake.
Among the 104 subjects, the main risk factor found was the admission to the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for a period longer than 5 days (50.93%). Other risk factors for hearing loss included:
- Use of ototoxic medication
- Family history of hearing loss
- Need of mechanical ventilation
- Hearing loss-associated syndromes
- Craniofacial and temporal bone anomalies
- Family’s perception for hearing loss
- In-utero infection–syphilis
- Postnatal infection by meningitis
- In-utero infection—toxoplasmosis
Read full article:
Read more about Integrity V500 technology and ABR testing, even in the NICU: